Here are a couple before pictures
|Luckily I was able to sell all of our old material on Craigslist|
We sanded, primed and put two coats of paint on before putting them up. We really should have waited to put the second coat of paint on until after they were up, because they got a little nicked up while they were being put up. Plus we had to fill the screw holes, so they ended up getting another coat of paint anyways. We used the same Bistro White paint we used to paint the trim.
|Sanding and painting all of the balusters|
|Staining the hand rails|
We decided to make our own newel posts because they are fairly expensive and we wanted a pretty simple design. We routered the corners to give it a little something, plus sharp corners aren't very baby friendly.
|Sanding the newels, before cutting them|
|Not Parker friendly|
|1st Newel Post up|
|Making sure the balusters are level|
|Getting the perfect angle on the balusters|
|Balusters up on the climb up the stairs|
Making the Newel Caps - We bought an oak board and cut it a couple inches longer than the diameter of the newel post. Then we stained it and attached it with one small nail in the center and some wood glue.
|Top piece added|
We bought a couple pieces of trim and stained them. Then cut the trim, kind of like a frame, to go around the top piece.
|Newel Cap finished|
Here are a few completed shots
If I would have known how long this project took to finish, I would have hired someone. So, not something I really recommend doing yourself...That said, I LOVE the way it turned out. And a big thank you to my hubby for all his hard work! It's going to be hard getting him to take on anymore home improvement projects for a while :)