One of my favorite magazines is House Beautiful. They had 101 Party Do's and Don'ts in their Entertaining Issue last month. And since December is usually filled with lots of parties, I thought I would share a few of my favorites.
1. "The host's mood sets the tone." Emily Eerdmans, Emilyevanseerdmans.com
2. "Have a stiff drink before anyone arrives. If you are having fun, everyone will have fun." Miles Redd, Designer
3. "Always start with an empty dishwasher." Chesie Breen, Founder, clovermag.com
4. "You should always have a cold bottle of bubbly stashed in your refrigerator in case friends drop by, and a bottle of something sparkly for nondrinkers." Christopher Hirsheimer, Co-founder, Canal House Cooking
5. "Don't be afraid to throw a party because you think it will cost too much. You can have a good time for $10 with a bottle of wine and a bag of nuts." Thomas Jayne, Designer
6. "Get everything ready the day before." Suzanne Kasler, Designer
7. "Glamorous informality is the name of the game. Dress up, even if you are serving hot dogs!" Simon Doonan, Creative Director Barney's New York
8. "If you don't have time to create your own playlist, log on to Pandora.com." Erin Olson, houseofturquoise.com
9. "Don't use assigned seating -- allow guests to mingle and let the evening evolve organically." Deborah Lloyd, Co-President and Creative Director, Kate Spade New York
10. "Don't wait for late guests. People resent being hungry." Isaac Mizrahi, Fashion Designer
11. "Don't leave without saying good-bye to the host." Kathryn M. Ireland, Designer
Happy Champagne Thursday!