My first project was making all the knotty pine disappear. In my opinion it was the biggest eye sore and didn't match any of our stuff. (I do know that a lot of people like the look of knotty pine, we are in Montana after all. No offense, it's just not our style.) Anyways, it needed to be changed. After bringing home about 20 different white paint samples, we slowly narrowed it down and decided on a nice Bistro White. We chose a semi gloss paint, so it would be easy to wipe up any messes. We do have a little guy running around here that likes to get his hands on everything :) At the end of March, I began working on my month and a half long project of painting our trim and doors. Needless to say it was a lot of work; taping, sanding, priming and two coats of paint on everything, one room at a time.
Here are a few before shots:
|This might have looked great in a cabin, but not in our house.|
|See what I mean about not matching?|
In order to get a nice even coat on the doors, we took them all down and sprayed them in garage. It was quite the set up.
|We had to set the doors up accordion style. All the doors were standing on pieces of wood and then they were nailed together at the top, with tiny scraps of wood.|
|Tip from Chris: When using a paint sprayer, make sure you cover EVERYTHING you don't want any paint on.|
|And while we had all the doors down, we swapped out the black hardware for some nice, new brushed nickel hardware.|
Here are a few after shots:
|Ahh...What a difference a couple coats of white paint will make|
|Matches our decor much better|
So worth it! I am 110% happy with the end result, however it is not a project I would like to do again anytime soon.